From Austin to Oz. I'm planning to flee the country for 7 months - working for 4 and traveling for 3.
Departure = 03 Sep 2003 / Re-entry = 03 Apr 2004

Monday, August 18, 2003

devils and kiwis

As part of my work-exchange program, the org. that sets up the exchanges (BUNAC) sent me the latest copy of Lonely Planet: Australia - incidentally, envelopped in my favorite colors of magma orange and deep navy blue (it must be a sign, no?). Devouring the pages, I think that after my 4 months of work in Brisbane, I have this devilish idea of cycling the State of Tasmania for a month. Then, cycle in New Zealand for another month. That leaves me with a month for quien sabe que before I regresar to the Land of Big Guns and Small Minds.

Yet, let me not get ahead of myself. Four months in Brisbane is quite a while. I am still stunned that my stay in Brisbane will coincide with the Rugby World Cup 2003! I'm planning to attend every match held in Brisbane. Plus, I'm going to learn how to surf. And play Australian rules football. And I'm going to 3V me: Vegemite, Violet Crumble, and Victoria Bitter beer -- but not in that order.

I'm also looking into volunteering in Brisbane. The Brisbane Writers Festival is in early October for a few days. I could meet a literal literary lot of locals. "My card, Mr. Aussie."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home