From Austin to Oz. I'm planning to flee the country for 7 months - working for 4 and traveling for 3.
Departure = 03 Sep 2003 / Re-entry = 03 Apr 2004

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Joey board


Joey board
Originally uploaded by Broken Piggy Bank.
(click photo to view)

I don't have any kids. As such, I'm usually oblivious to the kid-related world around me, such as whether there is a ramp for strollers, kids' menu, booster seat, play area, mothers' room, kids' discount price, Toys-R-Us, Babies-R-Us, etc. It's not that I agressively ignore the kiddie mundo around me, I just filter out things that don't pertain to me. (You do the same thing, too.) Conversely, I filter in things that do, such as anything orange-, Austin-, Texas-, Mexico-, or Australia-related. Sometimes, my filters get crossed.

For example, I was meandering around the annual Austin Thailand Festival at Fiesta Gardens last April. While there, I had to see a man about a horse. Having negociated a good deal, I washed up, and then noticed this pull-down board thingy on the far end of the men's room wall. What caught my eye was a diaper-clad baby koala ("joey") with arms raised -- not the fact that it was a baby-changing table.

I stood there pleasantly stunned for a few seconds because I noticed a koala in Austin! Let me give you a bit of context: in Australia, the koala caricature permeates popular culture. There are heaps of koala-themed clothes, tea towels, pencils, notebooks, snacks, children's shows, hair accessories, games, soft toys, playground bouncy rides -- I even saw a smiling koala firefighter reminding me to "Install a Smoke Alarm" on the side of a Brisbane firestation. So, now you can understand why I was surprised to find an Australian koala slapped up on an American-made baby changing table from a Colorado company inside a men's room located on the grounds of an Austin park with a Spanish name, all during the Thailand Festival.

Then, my smile dropped. Because, well, because I realized that I had seen those baby-changing tables in Austin men's rooms for several years prior to my stint in Oz. I just never paid attention to them before.

Why do I travel so far away from Austin only to come back and notice what was always around me?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that ironic? It reminds me of a movie - It's about this team of FBI agents that go searching the globe for a villan's secret layer - at the end, it turns out that the layer was hidden right outside the FBI headquarters!

Sometimes, when you're looking for something, you don't even bother to look right infront of you, just because you don't think you'll find it there.

25 July, 2005 15:04

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a bit late.. but a joey is a baby kangaroo

03 October, 2007 08:07

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

20 November, 2009 13:23

 

Post a Comment

<< Home