From Austin to Oz. I'm planning to flee the country for 7 months - working for 4 and traveling for 3.
Departure = 03 Sep 2003 / Re-entry = 03 Apr 2004

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Deer crossing


Deer crossing
Originally uploaded by Broken Piggy Bank.
(click photo to view)

A few days after having returned to Austin from 7 months in the Antipodes (Australia & NZ), I walked to the bus stop; I don't remember where I went. Anyway, during the walk, I came across this "deer crossing" sign and immediately took a photograph. Why? Well, after months of becoming accustomed to koala-, kangaroo-, wombat-, sheep-, duck-, stinger-, and pushbike/bicycle crossing signs; a deer crossing sign was exotic, foreign and un-Antipodean. It was as if I had never seen that sign before.

Then, seconds after taking the photo, I remembered that deer are all over Austin -- as are the deer crossing signs -- and that I knew that already. Dag. I guess that I thought that I was still in Australia, somehow.

Re-entry was discombobulating. Still is, over a year later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria Cristina said...

Whoa, I was doing a search for texas blogs and I recognized your photo from flickr.

13 June, 2005 23:24

 

Post a Comment

<< Home