From Austin to Oz. I'm planning to flee the country for 7 months - working for 4 and traveling for 3.
Departure = 03 Sep 2003 / Re-entry = 03 Apr 2004

Friday, September 12, 2003

koalas

Spring in Australia started 01 Sep 2003. As in Austin, the arrival of spring in Sydney and Brisbane fills the calendar with so many overlapping events that grab my attention and hold it like honey in a sopapilla.

Today is the Multi-Cultural Fest on the Queensland University of Technology (Robin's uni) campus, along with a Moon Fest. Across the Brisbane River is the weekly Arts & Crafts market. The Sunshine Coast Wine Festival started yesterday and runs until Sunday. (The Sunshine Coast is 100km from Brissie.) Next weekend is the National Festival of Beers, also in Brissie. When I return to Austin, people will ask me, what did you do while in Oz. I'll reply "played in the sun, drank lots of wine & beer, and smiled till my cheeks were Kung-Foo strong." That is, I'll say that to people IF I ever leave Oz.

Today is my birthday. Thirty-one. 29+2. 19+12. 62x + 15y. Create you own equation. So, wherever you may lie your head tonight, have a drink for me. Hell, have several. Intercontinental drunken stupor can only improve race & flag relations, no?

Tonight, we are going to the Brisbane Lions v. Adelaide Crows Aussie Rules Football semi-final game. Yes, the sport where the man in a white suit and hat drops down his forearms in a parallel karate chop. My uncle Juan loves that part.

Tomorrow, we are going to the Koala Park here in Brisbane, the world's first. To go pet 130 koalas & 130 kangaroos. Yeah, I know it's touristy. You'd do it, too. Don't lie.

Koala Park

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home