From Austin to Oz. I'm planning to flee the country for 7 months - working for 4 and traveling for 3.
Departure = 03 Sep 2003 / Re-entry = 03 Apr 2004

Monday, September 29, 2003

Men After Work

Last saturday night after the Australian Football League (AFL) Grand Final [the "Australian Rules Football Superbowl"], Robin and I came home from an all-day BBQ and somehow got stuck watching 80s videos on TV until about 2AM --- Madonna, Blondie, New Edition. Ah, the 80s. The are becoming "cool" from right under my nose, and I am powerless to stop it.

Watching the videos reminded me of a time when Robin and I were sitting in a Sydney bar earlier this month. It was late on a Friday night, and we just wanted a beer, unaware that most of Sydney had started drinking way before we did, still clad in their smart bidness attire. While Robin went to "powder her nose" (because girls don't have any vulgar ways to mention bodily functions like boys do - ha!), a song started playing that envelopped the whole bar to sing along, especially the groups of men with loosened ties and a cupboard of empty, foam-ringed glasses seated on their tables.

Which song?
Which song could enrapture a full Sydney bar on a late Friday night?
Which song could enable a saloon full of strangers to sing at the top of their lungs?
Which song?

"...I come from a land Down Under..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home